Saturday, December 1, 2012

She Speaks!

Well hey there everybody. It seems I've been pretty busy lately!

I have just returned from my trip across the pond visiting the fine folks of the National Media Museum for the Bradford Animation Festival. While there I had the opportunity to give a talk about my career as an animator in the video game industry and some of the lessons I've learned that are applicable to breaking in (and how to stay there).

My humblest apologies for the excessive amount of "um"s and "uh"s you'll be subjected to if you survive the whole 40 minutes - I'm still a bit new at this public speaking thing. Behold!


 
It was a great festival!  I met a lot of awesome students, and had a wonderful time talking with them about the industry and answering their questions about what it's like to be a professional animator.  The folks running the festival were great hosts, and I had a really fun time visiting.

In addition to the talk, I also ran my mouth to Mark Butler of FMV Magazine about what my career has been like. Warning: The interview contains some pirate words, boobs, and may set some pants on fire.  You can check it out here.

(Worth noting is the entirely un-ironic/awesome/awful/facepalm recommended articles listed at the very bottom of the page.  Oy).

I've been surprised at how many folks have come out of the woodwork who were not BAF attendees asking about the talk!  Who are you people!?  Reveal your secrets!  I'd love to know what you think, and if there were any questions or comments you had after watching.  Shop's always open for questions and comments at ch.phelan@gmail.com